Be Ready, Butte is brought to you by Butte Fire Safe Council, Butte County Fire, and Cal Fire to help you get ready, set, go when wildfire strikes. Keep an eye out actionable fire-safe information and resources.
Click "Play" to the right for wildfire preparedness tips brought to you by Butte Fire Safe Council staff and partners on a weekly KPAY radio segment with Scott Michaels.
- Defensible space is the buffer you create by removing dead plants, grass and weeds. This buffer helps to keep the fire away from your home.
- Hardening your home means using construction materials that can help your home withstand flying embers finding weak spots in the construction, which can result in your house catching fire. It takes the combination of both Defensible space and the hardening of your home to really give your house the best chance of surviving a wildfire.
Prepare your family and home ahead of time for the possibility of having to evacuate.
When wildfire strikes, go early for your safety. Take the evacuation steps necessary to give your family and home the best chance of surviving a wildfire.
- Review your Evacuation Plan Checklist.
- Ensure your Emergency Supply Kit/Evacuation Bag is in your vehicle.
- Cover-up to protect against heat and flying embers. Wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, heavy shoes/boots, cap, dry bandanna for face cover, goggles or glasses. 100% cotton is preferable.
- Locate your pets and take them with you.